Recipe by Tatia #2
Hearty, filling and flavorful. With the exception of baked goods, I use seasonings to taste. Please do experiment and spice this recipe to suit your own familys' preferences. The pepperoni I used is the dry, link style - not the pizza style slices. I also added some hot pepper sauce, dried basil leaf and a local "soul seasoning" blend that are not in the recipe. Add what tastes good to you! That's what cooking is all about.
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 links Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, any color is fine
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (or tomato sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup pepperoni, quartered and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the lentils and bay leaf in broth and water, covered, 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While lentils cook, prepare the veggies and garlic.
- In a frying pan coated w/ non-stick cooking spray, brown the Italian sausage, then remove from pan to cool.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute the onion, carrot and bell pepper until soft.
- Cut Italian sausage into 1/4" slices.
- Add sausage to veggie saute along w/ diced pepperoni to warm through.
- Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- When the lentils are done (or nearly done).
- Add the salsa, veggies and meat to the pot - stir, reduce heat to simmer and leave uncovered.
- Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce liquid to desired consistency.
- Taste and re-season as necessary.