1 hr 30 mins
Tatia #2's Note:
Hearty, filling and flavorful. With the exception of baked goods, I use seasonings to taste. Please do experiment and spice this recipe to suit your own familys' preferences. The pepperoni I used is the dry, link style - not the pizza style slices. I also added some hot pepper sauce, dried basil leaf and a local "soul seasoning" blend that are not in the recipe. Add what tastes good to you! That's what cooking is all about.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 links Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, any color is fine
- 1/2 cup salsa (or tomato sauce)
- 1/4 cup pepperoni, quartered and diced
- 1Boil the lentils and bay leaf in broth and water, covered, 45 minutes, or until tender.
- 2While lentils cook, prepare the veggies and garlic.
- 3In a frying pan coated w/ non-stick cooking spray, brown the Italian sausage, then remove from pan to cool.
- 4Add olive oil to the pan and saute the onion, carrot and bell pepper until soft.
- 5Cut Italian sausage into 1/4" slices.
- 6Add sausage to veggie saute along w/ diced pepperoni to warm through.
- 7Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- 8When the lentils are done (or nearly done).
- 9Add the salsa, veggies and meat to the pot - stir, reduce heat to simmer and leave uncovered.
- 10Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Reduce liquid to desired consistency.
- 12Taste and re-season as necessary.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.3
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 1478.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 32.3 g