Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a flavorful soup with wonderful texture from 1000 Lowfat Recipes by Terry Blonder Golson. Just a touch of sausage adds a lot of flavor.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 ounces sweet sausage, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup crouton (garnish) (optional)
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over low heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot and sausage.
- Continue to cook till the onions are soft and golden.
- add the broth and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the lentils and rice and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Add the salt, pepper and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve garnished with croutons.
Very good and easier than it reads. Goes pretty quickly. The lentils and brown rice add nice textures. Thank you.
Loved this soup. We used Bob Evans spicy sausage instead, and doubled the carrots. I will definetly be making this one again!
Anything low fat and healthy is a winner in my family and this was sooooo good - and extremely versatile !! I used vegetarian sausages, fresh thyme and threw in a few sundried tomatoes and the result was fabulous and well received - extra water makes it a soup and less fluid makes it like a risotto .Made for ZWT3 and will definitely be made again so thanks to pattikay.