Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a flavorful soup with wonderful texture from 1000 Lowfat Recipes by Terry Blonder Golson. Just a touch of sausage adds a lot of flavor.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 ounces sweet sausage, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup crouton (garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over low heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot and sausage.
- Continue to cook till the onions are soft and golden.
- add the broth and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the lentils and rice and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Add the salt, pepper and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve garnished with croutons.