1/1 Photo of Lentil and Rice Salad
Japanese Delight's Note:
A wonderful light lunch or side dish. I even chopped up some chicken and mixed it in for a light dinner with crusty bread. Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups dry green lentils
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, plus 2 cups
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup pitted sliced kalamata olive
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the lentils.
- 3Add 2 1/2 cups of broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer gently until the lentils are just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the lentils to a large bowl.
- 4Meanwhile, bring the remaining 2 cups broth and bay leaf to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and return the broth to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes (do not stir the rice as it cooks).
- 5Remove the saucepan from the heat. Fluff the rice with a large fork. Transfer to the bowl with the lentils.
- 6Add the olives, parsley, thyme, and lemon peel. Toss the rice mixture with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to coat.
- 7Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.6
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 430.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.0 g