I got this recipe from Cornell Cooperative Extension. I helped make this at cooking on a budget cooking class. This was the first time I cooked with or tried lentils. I thought this was so good tasting and very easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup green lentils or 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup rice (brown rice recommended)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt (optional)
- 1Rinse lentils. If possible, soak in warm water for at least 2 hours. Drain and set aside. If you don't soak the lentils, they may need more water and take longer to cook.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and saute until golden brown about 10-15 minutes. Set aside 1 cup of the sauteed onions for garnish. Add the rice to the onions and saute until well coated with oil, about 1 minute.
- 3Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, spices and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Fluff lentils with a fork. Serve on a large platter and scatter the remaining 1 cup of sauteed onions on top. Garnish with non-fat yogurt if desired. Be sure to taste for seasoning.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 589.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 16.1 g