From "The Flexitarian Cookbook" by Peter Berley. An excellent way to use rhubarb during the summer that's not for dessert!
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups diced potatoes (1/2 inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup French lentils, soaked for 4-6 hours and drained
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- For the Spice Blend: In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients.
- For the Lentils: In a heavy 3 to 4 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, shallots, ginger, and a large pinch of salt, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 8-10 minutes. Uncover, stir in the garlic and the spice blend, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, potatoes, rhubarb, lentils, brown sugar, and bay leaf, along with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water as necessary to keep the dish fairly soupy.
- When lentils are tender, season with salt to taste, stir in the peas, and simmer until the peas are just tender, about 4 minutes.