Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious Soup use extra spicy sausage to really liven it up for the cold winter months.
Make and share this Lentil and Red Pepper Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Cook sausage (casing removed) in olive oil in large pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, add garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
I made this last night - WONDERFUL FLAVORS. I added ~1 teaspoon of oregano, other than that, no changes to the soup. I served it over red & brown rice. It was spicy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe Culinary Inspiration, another KEEPER for us! DH raved about it. UPDATE -- NOVEMBER 14, 2008: I made this again, but did not have any meat to add to it, so I used ~1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and the flavor was very similar to when I made it with the hot italian sausage. So this can be made as a vegetarian dish as well, subbing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. WONDERFUL RECIPE