Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious Soup use extra spicy sausage to really liven it up for the cold winter months.
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Cook sausage (casing removed) in olive oil in large pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots and cook until tender, add garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
I made this last night - WONDERFUL FLAVORS. I added ~1 teaspoon of oregano, other than that, no changes to the soup. I served it over red & brown rice. It was spicy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe Culinary Inspiration, another KEEPER for us! DH raved about it. UPDATE -- NOVEMBER 14, 2008: I made this again, but did not have any meat to add to it, so I used ~1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and the flavor was very similar to when I made it with the hot italian sausage. So this can be made as a vegetarian dish as well, subbing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. WONDERFUL RECIPE