Recipe by itsnevrenough
This is a hearty chili full of lentils, quinoa and unique flavors. While I use homemade chicken stock, it can be made vegan by subbing vegetarian broth for the stock. I like to skip the canned beans and use dried. I prepare 1/2 of each, dried kidney and black beans and have them ready to go before I make this recipe, but you can use canned for convenience. You can also use canned tomatoes if you prefer. If you use canned ingredients, you may want to reduce the amount of salt used.
Top Review by lindseylucy
This is an excellent vegetarian Chili recipe!!! Quick and easy. I found it to be rather spicy, using 3t of Chili Powder, but mine may have just been an extra hot brand (Laxmi -- found it in the Eastern Indian aisle). Would honestly not alter a single thing other than the heat!! Yum!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped (or can use canned)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- avocado, if desired (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic and cook for a minute or until fragrant and slightly golden.
- 2. Add onion and pepper and cook for a few minutes or until onion is translucent.
- 3. Add in tomatoes, cumin, chili, cinnamon, curry powder, and pepper; bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down.
- 4. Add broth, quinoa, and lentils, and bring back to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender and quinoa has expanded.
- 5. Stir in black beans, kidney beans, salt and cilantro. Chili will continue to thicken.
- 6.Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Simmer a few more minutes.