1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef George S.'s Note:
We like lentils, and this recipe is fast, easy and cheap. I bought the sausage for 99 cents at the local Canned Foods Warehouse (aka Rainbow). You can use hot sausage or mild. I usually make this with half red and half brown lentils for the texture, but you can use all of one kind. I imagine this could be made in a crockpot, I just haven't done it. Serve with a fresh salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute the onions in the olive oil until brown (about 10 minutes).
- 2Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute or two.
- 3Add the lentils and the sausage.
- 4Add the water, bay leaf, salt (at least 1 teaspoon or to taste) and pepper. Stir to combine.
- 5Bring to a boil, cover and turn down the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 hrs or until lentils are tender.
- 6Watch the pot to make sure there is enough liquid so that the lentils don't burn.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Polish Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.0
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 420.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g