Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We like lentils, and this recipe is fast, easy and cheap. I bought the sausage for 99 cents at the local Canned Foods Warehouse (aka Rainbow). You can use hot sausage or mild. I usually make this with half red and half brown lentils for the texture, but you can use all of one kind. I imagine this could be made in a crockpot, I just haven't done it. Serve with a fresh salad.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil until brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute or two.
- Add the lentils and the sausage.
- Add the water, bay leaf, salt (at least 1 teaspoon or to taste) and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn down the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 hrs or until lentils are tender.
- Watch the pot to make sure there is enough liquid so that the lentils don't burn.