Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 6 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 1 cup serving: 216 calories, 7 g fat, 10.5 g protein, 29.9 g carb, 4.2 g fiber, 6 mg cholesterol.
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pancetta (about 3 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 4 cups coarsely chopped swiss chard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Add wheat berries to a large saucepan; cover with water--2 inches above berries.
- Bring to a boil; remove pan from heat.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain well; return wheat berries to pan.
- Cover again with water--2 inches above berries.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and cook, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, add 7 cups water and lentils; bring to a boil; partially cover pan, lower heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add in pancetta, simmer 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Drain lentil mixture over a bowl and reserve cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a big Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, carrot, and celery; stir/saute for 8 minutes.
- Add in Swiss chard; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in reserved cooking liquid, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in wheat berries and lentil mixture; cook 1 minute or until well heated.