Recipe by MrsSPheonix
We made this tonight for dinner and loved it so I thought I'd share. Easy, simple and delicious. I also think it could become like a "mother" or base recipe & to it you could add smoked chicken, tuna, other legumes, even different salad or vegetables. Source: Good Taste, December 2007
Top Review by nancyburns
I have been so unlucky with recipes lately that I had grown rather defeated - but this salad is substantial, refreshing, and really healthy. the garam marsala and ginger give it a subtle heat. I highly endorse...but cut your green beans to bite size pieces. mine were awkwardly long.
- 250 g dried brown lentils, rinsed (2x400g cans rinsed and drained)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (we subbed lemon)
- 200 g green beans, topped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 celery ribs, ends trimmed and cut into matchsticks
- 1 ear of corn, cooked, kernels removed (our addition)
- coriander leaves, garnish
- yoghurt, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lentils about 25mins until tender or drain cans and rinse thoroughly.
- Cook onion until tender then add garlic and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes then add garam masala and cook 1-2mins until aromatic.
- Add onion mixture and lime juice to lentils and mix thoroughly. Leave to cool slightly.
- Cook green beans until crisp tender then refresh in cold water and drain.
- Add corn kernels, green beans, tomatoes & celery to lentil mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Season with cracked black pepper and serve garnished with coriander and a dollop of yoghurt (we didn't miss the coriander or yoghurt but the pepper is a must).