1/1 Photo of Lentil and Golden Squash Pot Pie
I received this recipe from a walking comrade on Walker-Tracker. It's really very good, and a lentil recipe that I am happy to add to my collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (or minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seed (without pods)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red chilies, crushed
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1In a large kettle, mix onions, garlic, and ginger.
- 2Coarsely crush the coriander, cumin, and cardamom with mortar and pestle (or run them through a blender to make a coarse powder).
- 3Add the spices to the onion mixture along with 1/4 cup water.
- 4Stir occasionally over med-high head until liquid evaporates and a brown film forms in the bottom of the pan, 10-12 minutes.
- 5Deglaze the pan by adding a little water and stir to loosen the brown bits.
- 6Repeat step, cooking mixture dry and deglazing, until onions are richly browned, about 2 more times.
- 7Sort, rinse and drain lentils; add them to pan along with broth.
- 8Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 9While lentils are simmering, cut off peel and scoop seeds out of squash.
- 10Cut squash into 3/4-inch cubes, making about 1 quart.
- 11Add squash to pan; cover and simmer until lentils and squash are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Drain liquid from lentils and measure. Return no more than 3/4 cup liquid back to lentils. Pour mixture into a shallow 1 1/2 qt casserole. (If you are making ahead, you can cover and chill up to one day).
- 14On a floured board, roll pastry dough to match dimensions of casserole plus about an inch on all sides.
- 15Lay pastry rectangle over lentil mixture; folding excess pastry under and press dough firmly against casserole rim.
- 16Pinch dough to flute edges, and brush with beaten egg.
- 17Decoratively slash top.
- 18Bake in 400F oven for about 30 minutes (45 minutes if chilled).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Golden Squash Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.1
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: