1/1 Photo of Lentil and Golden Squash Pot Pie
I received this recipe from a walking comrade on Walker-Tracker. It's really very good, and a lentil recipe that I am happy to add to my collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (or minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seed (without pods)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red chilies, crushed
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1In a large kettle, mix onions, garlic, and ginger.
- 2Coarsely crush the coriander, cumin, and cardamom with mortar and pestle (or run them through a blender to make a coarse powder).
- 3Add the spices to the onion mixture along with 1/4 cup water.
- 4Stir occasionally over med-high head until liquid evaporates and a brown film forms in the bottom of the pan, 10-12 minutes.
- 5Deglaze the pan by adding a little water and stir to loosen the brown bits.
- 6Repeat step, cooking mixture dry and deglazing, until onions are richly browned, about 2 more times.
- 7Sort, rinse and drain lentils; add them to pan along with broth.
- 8Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 9While lentils are simmering, cut off peel and scoop seeds out of squash.
- 10Cut squash into 3/4-inch cubes, making about 1 quart.
- 11Add squash to pan; cover and simmer until lentils and squash are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Drain liquid from lentils and measure. Return no more than 3/4 cup liquid back to lentils. Pour mixture into a shallow 1 1/2 qt casserole. (If you are making ahead, you can cover and chill up to one day).
- 14On a floured board, roll pastry dough to match dimensions of casserole plus about an inch on all sides.
- 15Lay pastry rectangle over lentil mixture; folding excess pastry under and press dough firmly against casserole rim.
- 16Pinch dough to flute edges, and brush with beaten egg.
- 17Decoratively slash top.
- 18Bake in 400F oven for about 30 minutes (45 minutes if chilled).
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Golden Squash Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.1
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 19.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: