Buster's friend's Note:
Adapted from a recipe provided to The Spice House by Kathy Stant from Richmond. "The dressing can be made ahead and stored up to two weeks in the refrigerator. This dressing is also good on Greek Salad." This is a good thing because this recipe makes 3 batches of the dressing (which is mighty tasty). Use optional mint leaves, ripe olives and pepperoncini pepper to garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons Greek oregano, dried & crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup lentils (brown or green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, whole crushed (or 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mint, fresh, chopped (or 1 Tablespoon dried mint)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 1Whisk first 6 ingredients together to make the dressing for the salad.
- 2Pick over and wash lentils in several changes of water until water remains clear. Soak lentils in about 2 cups water for 1 - 2 hours, or overnight. (Overnight soaking will reduce cooking time.).
- 3Heat olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan. Sauté the garlic in the oil until just translucent. Add the coriander seed and heat to release the flavor. Add the lentils and the soaking water and bring just to a boil. Add the bay leaf, cayenne pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 - 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add additional water if necessary to keep the lentils from sticking. Add salt and taste for seasoning.
- 4Drain any remaining liquid from the lentils, remove the bay leaf, and allow the lentils to come to room temperature.
- 5In a large bowl combine the lentils and about 3/4 cup of the dressing. Add the vegetables and feta, and toss lightly. Taste for seasoning and add more dressing as desired, or place it on the table for individual use.
- 6Salad may also be served chilled.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Feta Cheese Salad
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1033.0
- Calories from Fat 910
- Total Fat 101.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.5 mg
- Sodium 1123.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 14.8 g