Recipe by Raqstar
By Michele Scicolone. This is one of our family favorites. We serve this for dinner with some bruschetta or olive bread.
Top Review by laurenlikesfood
This is very, very tasty and a nice change from my usual soups (veggie, chicken or chili). Rich flavor and I really like the escarole (I've had it but never cooked with it before). Thank you for sharing this great recipe :)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups peeled peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes with juice (fresh or canned)
- 2 1⁄4 cups green lentils (1 lb)
- 8 cups chicken stock, 64 fl.ozs. or 8 cups meat stock, 64 fl oz
- 1 small escarole, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion, celery and carrots in the olive oil, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Pick over the lentils, discarding any stones or misshapen lentils. Rinse well and stir into the saucepan. Stir well; add the stock, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until partially softened, about 30 minutes. Add the escarole, salt, and pepper and cook until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Ladle into warmed soup plates and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve immediately.