Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great "meatless Monday" meal -- you'll not miss the beef in the slightest! From cbs.com. The 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes makes it moderately spicy, not killer; however, it's easily omitted if you're sensitive.
- 2 lbs eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced medium
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, diced medium
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup green lentil, washed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat a 4-quart soup pot over medium high heat. Saute onions and bell pepper in oil until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for another minute, using cooking spray or a splash of water if it's sticking. Mix in chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and cinnamon. Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and the cocoa powder; cook for about 1 more minute, while stirring, to dissolve the cocoa.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and eggplant. Cover pot and bring to a boil, keeping a close eye. Once it's boiling, lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes, until lentils are tender and eggplant is soft. Mix in agave. Taste for salt and seasoning.
- Let sit for 10 minutes or so for maximum flavor. Serve garnished with cilantro.