1/1 Photo of Lentil and Couscous Salad
This is great for a picnic or barbecue. Use the indigo lentils that they sell in bulk containers at Wild Oats, Whole Foods type markets if you can find them. Recipe was originally in the Boston Globe many years ago but I've changed it a bit over the years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup couscous
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 3 scallions, white and light green part only, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 1Combine red onion, lemon juice and vinegar in large bowl with a pinch of salt.
- 2Put lentils and 4 cups of water in pot and bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes or til lentils are soft.
- 3Take off heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 4Drain and add to onion mixture along with the 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- 5Toss well.
- 6Bring 1 cup of water to boil, add couscous, take off heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 7Fluff up the couscous by raking with a fork and adding slowly the 1 T of olive oil. Try to get rid of the clumps.
- 8Add the couscous to the lentil mixture along with the parsley, mint and scallions.
- 9Salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Couscous Salad
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g