Recipe by katew
This is a low-kj classic from Good Taste magazine.I often drop in a handful of pasta in the last 10 minutes.
Top Review by JustJanS
Kate, I took your wonderful basic recipe and tweaked it a bit to suit us. I added in a finely chopped celery stick with the onion and carrot etc. I have lots of fresh herbs in the garden, so I added some fresh thyme and a pinch of chilli flakes while simmering and I finished the soup with a big handful of chopped fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. I'm thrilled to have three more generous servew to freeze for my work lunches. Thanks for posting.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (400 g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- parmesan cheese, to serve or crispy bacon
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add carrot, onion and garlic.
- Cook 3 minutes till soft.
- Add stock and tomatoes, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add lentils and beans, cook further 10 minutes.
- Or keep simmering till desired thickness.
- Season to taste, serve with bacon or parmesan.