Prep 2 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Lentils cook very well in a slow cooker. You can use any type of lentils you like for this recipe. If you can't find canadian Bacon, use ham.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced Canadian bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8-9 hours, or high heat 3-5 hours, or until lentils are tender. Stir well before serving.
Kitty- this is quite a good lentil soup. I grew up on lentil soup both with meat and without during the 40 days of lent. I make it often during the winter and of course during Lenten days. I enjoyed the flavors very much. I did use ham that I had glazed with maple from our trees, very similar in taste to canadien bacon. I will use this recipe often over the next few months interchanged with the one I grew up on. The broth was thick and hearty, blended wel with the beans and veggies and that bit of sweetness hinted in with the ham. I did not add any salt as the ham has it and we don't use salt very much here if it can be avoided. Wonderful and simple to make. Enjoyed with crusty french bread and a spinach salad. Made during TOTM Lentils/Beans Jan2010
This was a nice rainy day soup. I made it with turkey broth and veggie broth, using only 2 cups water. I found it still kind of bland and would like to try even more herbs or something else to give it a little more flavor. That said, my picky eater enjoyed it which is wonderful. Served with salad and crusty bread.
This is one of my favorite soups. I think the recipe comes from Betty Crocker Slow Cooker book or it may be BHG. It's a very reliable, tasty soup. It makes great leftovers, although you need to add more water as it tends to thicken in the refrigerator.