1/2 Photos of Lentil and Bulgur Pilaf With Green and Yellow Squash
This is typical of lenten dishes from Lebanon. Rich in fiber and nutrients, it makes for a wonderful one dish meal or a substantial side dish. The original comes from a 1997 issue of Eating Well magazine but has been modified to suit my tastes. If you replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth, this is a vegan dish as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium grain bulgur (coarse grain also works)
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium onion, coarse chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground works best
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- lemon wedge (for garnish)
- 1In a large saucepan, mix together the broth, lentils, onion bay leaf, salt allspice and pepper and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 2Add bulgur and simmer and cook an adidtional 25 minutes until the lentils and bulgur are tender.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- 4Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and squash and cook 2 minutes. Add garlic and lemon zest and cook an additional 3 minutes until the squash are tender.
- 5Stir in parsley and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- 6Mix the squah into the bulgur and lentil pilaf.
- 7Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil and Bulgur Pilaf With Green and Yellow Squash
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 532.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 12.3 g