Recipe by Girl from India
This is a complete meal for vegetarians and is wholesome and nutritious. Some people like their khichdis more watery (the traditional style) and they can add more water before pressure cooking. You can prepare the vegetables while the dal and bulgur soak.
- 1 cup yellow split peas (lentil)
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup potato (diced)
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger and green chili paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
for the tempering
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (ghee) or 3 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and soak the bulgur and mung dal for at least 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee and temper with the cinnamon, cloves, cumin and hing and cook till the cumin browns slightly (5-6 seconds). Add the dal and bulgur and vegetables and other ingredients and stir for 4-5 mins on a medium flame.
- Add hot water (4-5 cups) and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Open the cooker after steam escapes. Stir well and serve hot with papad and pickle.