Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy to make and nutritious.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Add lentils to a large soup pot.
- Add in the next 11 ingredients; stir.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, vinegar, and simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
this is a great basic recipe, it's easy to just throw in whatever you have in the refrigerator. i like adding broccoli and zucchini.