Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Healthful and hearty. A good soup to make a lot of and have as a stand-by in the freezer for a quick, nutritious meal.
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (2 lb) can tomatoes, drained,reserving juice,and chopped
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lb smoked sausage (optional)
- Combine broth, 3 cups water, lentils, rice, tomatoes with reserved juice, carrots, onion, celery, herbs and sausage and bring to boil (do not add parsley and vinegar).
- Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 45-55 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Stir in parsley and vinegar and season to taste.
- Freezer Note: I often make up a double batch of this delicious soup, freezing half the batch, to provide me with a quick, nutritious dinner further on down the line when time is short and you don't want to resort to ordering in. Just defrost in microwave, reheat well and serve
Another winner, e/a! We have a dear elderly neighbor who is very ill, and about all he enjoys these days is a good bowl of soup. I'm always trying to find new recipes to vary his simple diet, and this one was a huge hit. So much nutrition packed into each bowl---very important when an invalid can't eat much! His wife said, "Mmm--make that again!" I will!
This was phenomenal, and got rave reviews from my boyfriend, father, and stepmom. Followed recipe exactly except for omitted celery (personal preference). Used andouille sausage and a mixture of 1/2 red lentils and 1/2 green. Completely forgot the cider vinegar at the end. Didn't need salt or anything - thank you!
I wasn't nearly as impressed with this soup as I had expected to be. For as much as was in it, there was surprisingly little flavor. It did get better after a full day in the fridge, but I probably will not make it again unless I add dramatically more spice to perk it up.