Healthful and hearty. A good soup to make a lot of and have as a stand-by in the freezer for a quick, nutritious meal.
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (2 lb) can tomatoes, drained,reserving juice,and chopped
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lb smoked sausage (optional)
- Combine broth, 3 cups water, lentils, rice, tomatoes with reserved juice, carrots, onion, celery, herbs and sausage and bring to boil (do not add parsley and vinegar).
- Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 45-55 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Stir in parsley and vinegar and season to taste.
- Freezer Note: I often make up a double batch of this delicious soup, freezing half the batch, to provide me with a quick, nutritious dinner further on down the line when time is short and you don't want to resort to ordering in. Just defrost in microwave, reheat well and serve
This was phenomenal, and got rave reviews from my boyfriend, father, and stepmom. Followed recipe exactly except for omitted celery (personal preference). Used andouille sausage and a mixture of 1/2 red lentils and 1/2 green. Completely forgot the cider vinegar at the end. Didn't need salt or anything - thank you!
I wasn't nearly as impressed with this soup as I had expected to be. For as much as was in it, there was surprisingly little flavor. It did get better after a full day in the fridge, but I probably will not make it again unless I add dramatically more spice to perk it up.
This was tasty, and good for you. Mine needed more liquid.