Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the American Dietetic Association's "Healthy Cooking Across America".
Make and share this Lentil and Bead Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 49 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 1⁄3 cup acini di pepe pasta (or orzo)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Parmesan, Romano or Pamegianno Reggiano)
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and carrots. Cook, covered, over low heat about 5 minutes or till softened. Add broth and 2 cups of water. Heat to boiling. Stir in lentils and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover(leave lid ajar). Simmer until tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- While that's cooking, cook pasta to al dente. Drain.
- Stir pasta into lentils. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the shredded Italian cheese.
So simple and really delicious! I used homemade veggie broth that didn't have any salt added to it was perfect. Thanks for posting the keeper recipe.
Thanks for sharing this recipe, it is SO GOOD! I followed your recipe exactly, except I cooked mine on low for a lot longer. Without the Parmesan it tastes nice, but mellow; with the Parmesan it is perfection! My entire family loved this soup, thank you. Note: I just sprinkled the cheese lightly in each individual bowl, rather than in the pot.
Simply delicious. I used a vegetarian broth and added a spoonful of white balsamic vinegar to give the soup a bit of tang but otherwise followed the recipe as written. I enjoyed the texture of the orzo 'beads' in this soup.