Recipe by Babushka
Healthy, yes, but tasty too! A crowd pleaser that is easy to make, enjoy this hearty soup with a warm slice of bread. Can be made vegetarian by substituting the chicken boullion for vegetable!
- 158.51 ml medium barley
- 158.51 ml brown lentils
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 118.29 ml finely sliced celery
- 177.44-236.59 ml chopped onion
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml basil
- 946.36 ml chicken bouillon
- 473.18 ml hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook 2/3 cups barley in 3 cups boiling water about 20 minutes, drain and set aside. (skip this step if using quick cooking barley).
- Cook 2/3 cups lentils in 3 cups water about 5 minutes, drain and add to barley.
- Add 4 cups chicken boullion and 2 cups hot water to large pot. Set to medium heat.
- Add in carrots, celery, and onion. Then add in the barley and lentils.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, and basil. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with a slice of bread.