Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Healthy, yes, but tasty too! A crowd pleaser that is easy to make, enjoy this hearty soup with a warm slice of bread. Can be made vegetarian by substituting the chicken boullion for vegetable!
- 2⁄3 cup medium barley
- 2⁄3 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely sliced celery
- 3⁄4-1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 4 cups chicken bouillon
- 2 cups hot water
- Cook 2/3 cups barley in 3 cups boiling water about 20 minutes, drain and set aside. (skip this step if using quick cooking barley).
- Cook 2/3 cups lentils in 3 cups water about 5 minutes, drain and add to barley.
- Add 4 cups chicken boullion and 2 cups hot water to large pot. Set to medium heat.
- Add in carrots, celery, and onion. Then add in the barley and lentils.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, and basil. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with a slice of bread.