Recipe by 5thCourse
A healthy choice! Serve with salad or chutney. From AOL food. Prep time includes chill time.
Top Review by BonnieD Oz
Haven't tried this yet. However, it's published on: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lentil_almond_burger.html from their June/July 2005 issue. Thought I'd set the record straight on credits! I'll be trying this recipe this weekend!
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil, stir in lentils and simmer until very tender, about 25 minutes, or 30 minutes for green lentils. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Add carrots, shallots and celery and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add almonds, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook a couple more minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and add 1 cup of the cooked lentils. Pulse several times until coarsely ground.
- Transfer to large bowl and add rest of the lentils. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in yolk and lemon juice.
- Cover and chill one hour.
- Form into 5 patties. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in large skillet medium high. Cook patties about 4 minutes, flip and cook until lightly brown and heated through.
- Serve immediately.