Recipe by bmxmama
This is a recipe I was lucky enough to adopt in September 2006 in whirlwind zaar adoption. I haven't made this myself, and as soon as I do I will update the description!
Top Review by Jangomango
The most delicious tasting and delicious looking pastry cream - I could just eat this all up and forget what I was making it for... I used this as a filling for chocolate eclairs. Soooooo good. The real vanilla bean sends it from ordinary to fabulous. I wouldn't dream of changing a molecule of the ingredients or the method.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk and vanilla bean to a simmer.
- Meanwhile combine sugar, flour and cornstarch in bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add yolks and whisk until lump free and smooth.
- Temper egg mixture with milk.
- Pour egg mixture back into milk.
- Cook over medium low heat stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Off heat stir in butter.
- Press plastic on top of cream to prevent skin from forming.
- Chill thoroughly.