Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I was lucky enough to adopt in September 2006 in whirlwind zaar adoption. I haven't made this myself, and as soon as I do I will update the description!
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Bring milk and vanilla bean to a simmer.
- Meanwhile combine sugar, flour and cornstarch in bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add yolks and whisk until lump free and smooth.
- Temper egg mixture with milk.
- Pour egg mixture back into milk.
- Cook over medium low heat stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Off heat stir in butter.
- Press plastic on top of cream to prevent skin from forming.
- Chill thoroughly.
The most delicious tasting and delicious looking pastry cream - I could just eat this all up and forget what I was making it for... I used this as a filling for chocolate eclairs. Soooooo good. The real vanilla bean sends it from ordinary to fabulous. I wouldn't dream of changing a molecule of the ingredients or the method.
This is a great recipe and makes the perfect pastry cream. I recommend whisking the cornstarch (I just use 3 TBS cornstarch total instead of using the additional flour, because I'm gluten-intolerant) with the sugar in a mixing bowl, adding the yolks, and beating with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. You can add 1/2-1 cup of the hot vanilla milk to that, then turn the mixer back on and fluff it up again. Finally, whisk this mixture into the milk on the stove and heat it back up while whisking. I prefer this method because then you shouldn't have to strain it!
Also, I recommend putting a cinnamon stick and chunks of lemon peel in the milk instead of the vanilla (and let them steep for a bit before you take them out). It will give it an incredible depth of flavor that you just have to taste to believe!
This was delicious!!! Vanilla bean really makes a big difference from vanilla extract.