Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
I found this recipe online in a lesson plan written by a teacher who was exposing her students to some African traditions. If drinking ginger and cayenne seem odd to you... then this recipe is not for you. Drank in all parts of Africa but especially popular in West and North Africa.
Top Review by Sharon123
I just love ginger and love lemonade, so of couse, this was wonderful. I subbed honey for the sugar. I too added to taste. This will be a regular. Thanks! Made for ZWT4. and the Fancy Feinshcmeckers!
- 2 pieces gingerroot (a little bigger then thumb size)
- 1 gallon water
- 1 lb lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place grated ginger dusted with cayenne in a piece of cheesecloth, knot it, and allow the ginger and cayenne to infuse the water so that the water takes on flavor (about 15 minutes).
- Add sugar and lemon juice and mix well.
- Chill and serve cold. (You can leave out the cayenne if you wish.) Chill, adjust sugar if necessary and serve.