Recipe by Baby Kato
To make this typical north African soup use yellow split peas, its the secret ingredient according to my colleague. This makes a wonderful lunch served with garlic bread and a light fruit salad.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
What a lovely, delicious soup! And so easy to make. I halved the recipe because I was out of yellow peas, and it made a wonderful lunch for the two of us. I'll make this again! Thanks for posting! Made for For Your Consideration.
- 1 cup split peas, yellow (green peas may be used)
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2-1 cup water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the peas and the celery in the chicken stock for 45 minutes.
- Once the peas are tender, puree.
- Add the seasonings, lemon juice and flour to the melted margarine, adding small amounts of the soup to thin (if necessary).
- If you find the soup too thick add the optional water.
- Add the margarine mixture to the soup and simmer 15 minutes before you serve.