Recipe by COOKGIRl
Ethiopian style yellow lentil side dish. Serve this over brown rice; injera to scoop it up. From Sunset Magazine March 2006. Awaken your senses!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups yellow lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, freshly grated
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter and add the garlic. Stir and cook until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add the yellow lentils, stir to coat with the melted butter, then add the broth. Simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender but not too mushy, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- The lentils will thicken as they cool down.
- Stir in the fresh ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.