Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Real Simple Magazine June 2008. This is such a refreshing and light summer salad. If you find the lemon too strong just reduce the amount to your tastes.
- 3⁄4 lb summer squash
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- Cut the squash and zucchini into long thin strips using a vegetable peeler (discard the seedy centers/cores) and place in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, lemon juice, Parmesan, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Delicious!! And so simple. I have a spiralizer, so the ribbons were easy. I tried the original recipe first, then tried cutting the cheese (& used pecorino romano) and olive oil in 1/2 to reduce the fat, and doubled the lemon - still delicious. It is important to serve immediately if you want the squash to stay crisp. My husband loved it, too & he's not a zucchini fan. This will be a staple summer dish for us. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I used baby patty pan squash and did not have to worry about the seeds. I also had to use lime instead of lemon. This is a nice refreshing light salad, and a great way to use garden bounty. Thanks for posting this recipe.
Light and lemony. I didn't think the lemon was overpowering at all. I used the 2 tbsp and I actually could have used more. The "ribbons" in both green ad yellow looked very pretty. I think I will add minced garlic and/or some fresh parsley next time to bring out more flavor. Thanx for sharing!