Recipe by Sackville
I love the colours of this soup: white rice, green spinach and flecks of red pepper. All garnished with bright yellow lemon slices. And it tastes as good as it looks!
- 6 cups chicken broth (made from a stock cube is ok)
- 1⁄3 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth and rice and bring to a boil.
- Cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- In the final minutes of cooking, reserve two cups of the broth and then add the spinach, chicken and red pepper.
- Remove the soup from heat and cover while you make the thickener.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add the reserved broth and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
- Gradually beat the thickened broth into the soup.
- Then slowly add egg mixture to soup.
- Heat gently until soup thickens enough to coat a spoon-- do not boil!
- Mix in the ginger and lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with lemon and serve immediately.