1/1 Photo of Lemony Snap Peas With Variations
This recipe makes four different snap pea salads. There is one base recipe, then 3 variations included. From "Cooking Light" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- ice water, bath (large bowl of water and ice)
- 8 cups water
- 12 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1In a large Dutch oven, bring the 8 cups of water to a boil; add peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 30 seconds.
- 2Drain and plunge peas into the ice water bath to stop them from cooking; drain again and slice peas in half diagonally.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine lemon zest and the remaining ingredients with a whisk; add peas and toss gently to coat in sauce.
- 4Radish and Feta variation: Prepare the base recipe, but only use 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Add 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes, 1/3 cup crumbled feta (1 1/2 oz), and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil to the pea mixture. Adds about 30 calories.
- 5Israeli Couscous and Dill variation: Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan, over medium heat, and saute 2/3 cup Israeli couscous, for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Prepare the base recipe with 6 ounces of peas, increase the salt to 1/2 teaspoon and substitute 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic for the shallot. Combine pea mixture, couscous, and 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill. Top with 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese. Adds about 140 calories.
- 6Toasted Almond and Pecorino variation: Prepare base recipe. Toast 3 tablespoons sliced almonds in a small skillet; cook over medium heat until lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Add almonds to pea mixture, tossing lightly. Top with 3 tablespoons shaved pecorino Romano cheese. Adds about 40 calories.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemony Snap Peas With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 139.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 1.8 g