Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Crispy, lemony shrimp cakes are topped with a bright, crunchy salsa of red bell peppers, cilantro, corn and green onions for a beautiful dish that can be served midweek for dinner or as an excellent hors d’eouvre.
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn (frozen is OK)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 lb raw prawns, shelled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat an oven to 200°F.
- Make the salsa by stirring together the bell pepper, corn, green onion, cilantro, salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the prawns into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large bowl, mix together the hash browns, chopped prawns, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is shimmering, use a 1/2-cup measuring cup to scoop the potato mixture into the pan to make 4 patties. Use the measuring cup to press down on the patties so that they are about 1/2-inch in thickness. Cook the patties for 3 minutes or until browned on the bottom. Flip the patties over and cook another 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer the patties to a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To serve, place 2 patties on each serving plate. Top each patty with salsa and serve immediately.
Delicious, easy, light and refreshing. Loved the way these flavors tasted together. The whole family enjoyed them. I'll be making these again!
easy, delicious and pretty on a plate, I brought this to a potluck and they disappeared before i got to eat any!
This was a real hit at my book club meeting! All my friends seemed to love all the flavors and it is such a beautiful dish. I was also surprised how easy it was to make as well.