Recipe by RSHDiva
I have an oval cookie cutter that gets four pieces out of a slice of bread. Otherwise, you can cut the de-crusted bread in quarters. This is the best way I know to make costly shellfish go a long way. One pound of scallops makes 144 pieces! The filling can be made ahead, the bread cut and toasted. Then just assemble and broil before serving.
- 3 tablespoons real butter
- 1 lb scallops, roughly diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped fine
- 16 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise
- fresh ground pepper
- 12 dozen bread rounds, toasted on one side
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add scallops, zest, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly until the scallops are just barely cooked through. 2-3 minutes. Add the dill and cook 30 seconds longer. Let cool to room temperature. Add the cheese, mayo, and pepper to a scallop mixture and stir to combine well. Refrigerate in a covered bowl until ready to use, up to a week. Preheat broiler, Broil 2-3 minute until puffed and golden.