Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another recipe from the dark confines of my cookbook. Don't forget to factor in one week for "aging".
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans (pecan meal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Mix together the vanilla wafer crumbs, confectioners sugar, coconut, pecans, allspice, cinnamon and lemon peel.
- Add the corn syrup, lemon juice and rum to mixture.
- Combine well and then form into about 24 1-inch balls.
- Coat balls with granulated sugar; put about 1/4 to 1/3 cups of granulated sugar into a plastic bag and add the rum balls, a few at a time.
- Shake bag gently until the balls are coated.
- Store coated rum balls in a covered container for 5 to 7 days to develop flavor.
The heady fragrances of rum, allspice, lemon and cinnamon made me think of the tropics and a warm cozy Christmas all grandma's house all at once. These are a joy to make, and they taste good on day one,..on day 7 they are exquisite! There's still time before Christmas...make some! They will make you, friends and family very happy! I used Kraken spiced rum and unsweetened coconut flakes.Recipe did not specify on the coconut. Just delicious!
Excellent results! I used 1/3 cup Southern Comfort for the rum, and it is fantastic! These get stronger over the week, but they are very good for gifts. I will definitely keep this one and will make them again!