Recipe by Lennie
This takes plain ol' rice to a new level. Goes particularly well with chicken. If you don't use chicken stock, this side dish is vegetarian/vegan.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, preferably canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock makes this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil over mediumheat and cook onion for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in rice, then stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; let simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and parsley; taste and add pepper if you wish.
- Note: this reheats very well so don't fret if this makes too much for your family.