This takes plain ol' rice to a new level. Goes particularly well with chicken. If you don't use chicken stock, this side dish is vegetarian/vegan.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, preferably canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock makes this vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, heat oil over mediumheat and cook onion for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in rice, then stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; let simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and parsley; taste and add pepper if you wish.
- Note: this reheats very well so don't fret if this makes too much for your family.
Great rice dish. I used cilantro instead of the parsely. I also used the juice of a whole lemon. I added garlic to the onions as well. Looking forward to the leftovers tonight!!
Very Good ... and Thank You. Learning to flavor my rice has really made even the simplist of meals an adventure. One hint I would like to offer in step # 2. Take the time to make sure each grain of rice is coated with the oil before adding the chicken stock. This step will make the pilaf light and fluffy.
We really love rice, and this was so good. I forgot to buy the parsley so used lemon thyme instead. It was a great addition.