I got this recipe out of the magazine Canadian Family. We like it.
Make and share this Lemony Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F In a greased, 9-inch heavy nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar.
- Remove skillet from heat; spread sugar mixture evenly over bottom of skillet. Scatter rhubarb [cut in 1 inches pieces] evenly over sugar mixture; set skillet aside.
- Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together sugar, butter, and lemon rind until well combined.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Stir half of flour mixture into sugar mixture; stir in buttermilk.
- Add remaining flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spread batter carefully over rhubarb in skillet; bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when gently pressed in center and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- As soon as cake comes out of oven, run a spatula around sides to loosen cake.
- Let cool in skillet for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake on a plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whip cream or ice cream.
Your cake was lovely and refreshing.
I used lime zest insted of lemon as I had some at ready. I'm sure that this recipe is great with a lot of other fruits too. I will keep it to convert it in an allround recipe.
Thanks a lot for posting this
This was so good and delicious it was finished it one day. :( Fortunately for me I plan to make it again.
Excellent cake & faultless recipe IMO except for the part about the skillet that does seem to confuse a little at 1st. I used a 10-in rd Pyrex baking dish & frozen rhubarb from my summer supply. I let it cool an extra 5 min & it easily was plated intact. This is easy to fix & has just the right balance of tart to sweet & lemon flavours. The lovely aroma still lingers in my kitchen & my MIL will be very pleased tomorrow on Christmas Eve. Yum! Thx for posting this recipe for us.