I got this recipe out of the magazine Canadian Family. We like it.
Make and share this Lemony Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F In a greased, 9-inch heavy nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar.
- Remove skillet from heat; spread sugar mixture evenly over bottom of skillet. Scatter rhubarb [cut in 1 inches pieces] evenly over sugar mixture; set skillet aside.
- Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together sugar, butter, and lemon rind until well combined.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Stir half of flour mixture into sugar mixture; stir in buttermilk.
- Add remaining flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Spread batter carefully over rhubarb in skillet; bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when gently pressed in center and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- As soon as cake comes out of oven, run a spatula around sides to loosen cake.
- Let cool in skillet for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake on a plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whip cream or ice cream.