Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is one of my favorite lemon bread recipes! It starts with a basic recipe of Buttercup Cake Batter. Sprinkle with crushed lemon drop candies for a sweet, crunchy finish!
Buttercup Cake Batter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
Lemony Poppy Seed Tea Loaves (use 4 cups buttercup cake batter)
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Buttercup Cake Batter: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a very large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds; add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined; add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Use batter for Lemony Poppy Seed Tea Loaves.
- Makes 6 1/2 cups batter.
- Lemony Poppy Seed Tea Loaves: Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- In large bowl, gently stir together the Butter Cake Batter, lemon peel, and poppy seeds. Divide mixture evenly among the prepared pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pans. Place loaves on a wire rack set over wax paper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and lemon juice; heat and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Brush sugar mixture over warm loaves until all is absorbed; cool completely.
- Drizzle with Lemon Icing and if desired, sprinkle with crushed lemon drop candies.
- Lemon Icing: In a small bowl, stir together sifted powdered sugar, shredded lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Stir in enough water to make an icing that is easy to drizzle.