Abby Falck's Note:
This salad is a full meal by itself and bursting with summer flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb short-cut pasta, cooked al dente (such as penne or rotini)
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 2Combine the marinade ingredients in a quart-size zip-top bag, add the chicken pieces, press out as much air as possible and seal. Set aside to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- 3While the chicken is marinating:.
- 4Put the cooked pasta in a large salad bowl.
- 5Core and dice the tomato and add it to the salad bowl.
- 6Roughly chop the arugula and add it to the salad bowl.
- 7Finely mince the anchovies, if using, and stir them into the pesto.
- 8Pour the marinated chicken into a colander set in the sink and allow the marinade to drain off for a couple minutes.
- 9In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 10Put the chicken pieces in the skillet without crowding them. Cook in two batches if necessary. Cook, stirring infrequently, until the pieces are browned and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to the salad bowl and toss. (You don't want the hot chicken sitting right on top of the arugula or it will wilt. Tossing will cool the chicken enough to prevent this.).
- 11Turn the heat off and add the fresh lemon juice, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan until all the browned bits have been scraped up and the liquid is starting to thicken.
- 12Stir the pan sauce in to the pesto.
- 13Add the pesto to the salad bowl and toss thoroughly.
- 14For best flavor, allow the salad to rest for 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemony Pesto Pasta Salad With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1024.1
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 162.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 63.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Cavenders All Purpose Greek Seasoning