Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Good enough for guests. From Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Lemony Moroccan Style Chicken Kebabs recipe from Food.com.
For the marinade
- 2 lemons
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inch slice peeled fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml dried marjoram
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml saffron thread (optional)
- 4.92 ml light brown sugar
- 12.32 ml kosher salt
- 9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 44.37 ml olive oil
For the kebabs
- 1133.98 g boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks also boneless breasts work well too)
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (like Vidalia)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
For the Yogurt-Lemon Sauce
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 473.18 ml plain yogurt
- kosher salt
- For the Marinade:.
- Cut four deep, lengthwise gashes, equally spaced, into each lemon. Put the lemons and garlic cloves in a small microwavable container. Cover and microwave on high until the lemons are soft and juice has exuded from them, about 4 minute (If not soft, continue to microwave in 30-second intervals). Strain the juice into a small container and let the lemons and garlic cool briefly. When the lemons are cool enough to handle, separate them into sections. Scrape the pulp and most of the white pith away with a spoon; discard. Put the scraped lemon peels, garlic, lemon juice, and remaining marinade ingredients in a blender and puree to make a coarse, soft paste. Set 2 tablespoons aside to use for the yogurt sauce.
- To Marinate the Chicken:.
- Put the chicken into a 1-gallon zip-top bag; scrape in the remaining marinade. Massage the bag to coat all the chicken pieces and marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- To Grill the Kebabs:.
- Build a medium-hot charcoal fire or heat a gas grill to medium high. Dump the chicken into a bowl, but don’t scrape off any excess marinade. Put the onion and peppers in the marinade bag and massage them to coat with the marinade (it’s fine if the onion pieces break apart). Transfer to another bowl. Thread the chicken onto skewers, positioning a piece of onion and pepper between the pieces of chicken. If there’s extra pepper or onion, thread them onto separate skewers, if you like.
- When ready to grill, oil the grill grate. Grill the kebabs over direct heat (uncovered for charcoal; covered for gas), turning the skewers every 2 to 3 minute until the chicken is firm and shows no redness when cut into, about 10 to 15 minute Check several pieces of chicken to be sure.
- To Make the Sauce:.
- Combine the reserved 2 tablespoons marinade with the cucumber, cilantro, yogurt, and 2 teaspoons salt. Mix well. (Make the sauce no more than an hour before serving or it will be too watery).
- To Serve:.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the skewers and serve them in a mound with the yogurt sauce on the side. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
This was delicious! The only thing I changed is I used dried coriander in the yoghurt-lemon sauce and I couldn't find yellow capsicum, so I left them out in the kebabs, otherwise I kept to the recipe. I found the kebabs could easily burn, because of the brown sugar, but it was ok I kept a close eye on them. Also served with a green salad and pita bread. Thank you gailanng for a lovely recipe