1/1 Photo of Lemony Moroccan Style Chicken Kebabs
3 hrs 15 mins
Good enough for guests. From Fine Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the marinade
- 2 lemons
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1/8 inches slice peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch saffron thread (optional)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the kebabs
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks also boneless breasts work well too)
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (like Vidalia)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
For the Yogurt-Lemon Sauce
- 1For the Marinade:.
- 2Cut four deep, lengthwise gashes, equally spaced, into each lemon. Put the lemons and garlic cloves in a small microwavable container. Cover and microwave on high until the lemons are soft and juice has exuded from them, about 4 minute (If not soft, continue to microwave in 30-second intervals). Strain the juice into a small container and let the lemons and garlic cool briefly. When the lemons are cool enough to handle, separate them into sections. Scrape the pulp and most of the white pith away with a spoon; discard. Put the scraped lemon peels, garlic, lemon juice, and remaining marinade ingredients in a blender and puree to make a coarse, soft paste. Set 2 tablespoons aside to use for the yogurt sauce.
- 3To Marinate the Chicken:.
- 4Put the chicken into a 1-gallon zip-top bag; scrape in the remaining marinade. Massage the bag to coat all the chicken pieces and marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 5To Grill the Kebabs:.
- 6Build a medium-hot charcoal fire or heat a gas grill to medium high. Dump the chicken into a bowl, but don’t scrape off any excess marinade. Put the onion and peppers in the marinade bag and massage them to coat with the marinade (it’s fine if the onion pieces break apart). Transfer to another bowl. Thread the chicken onto skewers, positioning a piece of onion and pepper between the pieces of chicken. If there’s extra pepper or onion, thread them onto separate skewers, if you like.
- 7When ready to grill, oil the grill grate. Grill the kebabs over direct heat (uncovered for charcoal; covered for gas), turning the skewers every 2 to 3 minute until the chicken is firm and shows no redness when cut into, about 10 to 15 minute Check several pieces of chicken to be sure.
- 8To Make the Sauce:.
- 9Combine the reserved 2 tablespoons marinade with the cucumber, cilantro, yogurt, and 2 teaspoons salt. Mix well. (Make the sauce no more than an hour before serving or it will be too watery).
- 10To Serve:.
- 11Remove the chicken and vegetables from the skewers and serve them in a mound with the yogurt sauce on the side. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemony Moroccan Style Chicken Kebabs
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 168.0 mg
- Sodium 934.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 41.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: