Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This satisfying blend of healthy ingredients is refreshingly reminiscent of lemony Mediterranean dishes. It can be served hot, room temp or cool.
- 1 cup French lentils (green lentils)
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed to get rid of excess liquid (may use fresh if available)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Bring water & lentils to a boil in a large heavy pot. Reduce heat, cover & simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in a large pot in oil. Stir in garlic, cilantro, and spinach and sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes and lentils with cooking liquid to cover. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer; cook 20 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice; serve immediately or when cooled or chilled as desired.
Delicious! I was looking for a good lentil recipe and decided to give this a try - and I'm glad I did. It is hands-down some of the best lentils I've ever had. The lemon juice really added a lot of flavor. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen and it turned out great.
This was a great recipe that both my husband and I loved! I used fresh spinach (half of a small bag) instead and I also I left out the potatoes because I'm not a fan of lentils and potatoes. I also cut the olive oil down to half of what it called for. It was fresh tasting and easy to make; I will definitely be making this again.