Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ellie Krieger, registered dietician and host of the Food Network's Healthy Appetite, shares recipes from her longevity arsenal. Prevention can start in your kitchen if you have the right ingredients.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 16 ounces green lentils
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups kale leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery and garlic and cook covered, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 12 cups of the broth, the lentils, basil, thyme and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the kale, and cook until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes, adding more broth if necessary. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Serve.