Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' by Mark Bittman
- 1 cup dried lentils, preferably de Puy, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh chives or 1⁄4 cup shallots or 1⁄4 cup red onion
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put the lentils in a medium pot and cover with water by 1 inch.
- Add the bay leaf and garlic and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat so the lentils bubble gently.
- Cook until just tender but not burst, 20-30 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure there is always enough water at the bottom of the pan to keep the lentils from burning.
- Squeeze the juice from one of the lemons into a large bowl.
- Peel the other lemon and chop the segments roughly into small pieces, taking care to remove the seeds.
- Add the segments to the bowl along with the olive oil, capers, and chives.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and stir.
- Drain whatever water remains from the lentils and stir them into the dressing while still hot.
- Let rest, stirring occasionally to distribute the dressing, until they cool for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve warm or refrigerate for up to several days.