Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Fit Yoga, February 2009. This was delicious and very flavorful. I used the zucchini, and all vegetable broth instead of water. Serve warm, not hot, to better enjoy the lemon.
- 6 -7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced leeks (about 2 leeks)
- 4 cups eggplants, cubed or 4 cups zucchini
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped swiss chard (packed) or 4 cups spinach (packed)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons za'atar spice mix
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- Place the water and lentils in a 5 quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leek and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to brown. Add the eggplant and 1/2 tsp of salt and sauté for a few minutes, until eggplant begins to soften. Add tomato and cook for a few more minutes, until vegetables become saucy.
- Once lentils are just tender, add the saucy veggies, remaining salt, chard or spinach, zaatar, paprika, cumin, bouillon cubes, and lemon zest to the pot. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and garlic, ladle into bowls, and serve with lemon slices to garnish.
This soup was fantastic! We couldn't stop eating it. I did change a few things. I used chicken broth instead of water, and omitted the bouillon. Chopped onions instead of leeks. 1/2 tsp. garlic salt instead of salt. I added my own chopped tomatoes. I also added 1/2 packet Truvia, to cut the acid. All the flavors melded together, and the lemon juice really brightened up the flavor. Can't believe this is also very healthy. Thank you, yogiclarebear.