Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A lemony, fluffy cake enriched by the sweet taste of poppy seeds-my favorite!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 1 cup of sugar and butter. Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the batter.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk and add to the batter.
- Fold in grated lemon peel and poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into a greased bundt pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and has a crevice in the middle.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice (about 1 cup) and 3/4 cup sugar in a saucepan and simmer over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When the cake is done, let stand for 5 minutes, then drizzle sweetened lemon juice slowly over the top until it is absorbed.