Recipe by loof
These tender meatballs feature the classic Greek flavor combination of lemon, garlic, and oregano. Beef and lamb are combined with a simple red wine sauce; if you change the meats used to chicken and/or turkey, just use white wine instead of red. From "The Meatball Cookbook Bible"...
Top Review by Michelle Berteig
Wow, these meatballs were really tasty and easy to make! I loved the baking instructions, the time and temperature were right on. The sauce was great as well. I could see making regular meatballs this way as well. The family loved these, they are going into the favorites file! Made for Pink Panthers on the Prowl for ZWT9.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 2 t dried)
- 3⁄4 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- vegetable cooking spray
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with vegetable oil spray.
- Heat oil in a small skillet to medium-high. Saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- In a large bowl blend egg and milk. Add breadcrumbs, 2T parsley, and oregano and mix well. Add half of the sauteed onion mixture, the lamb, and the beef to the bowl; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs and put them on the prepared pan. Spray the tops of the meatballs with vegetable oil spray. Bake meatballs at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, add the wine to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add lemon juice and remaining 2T parsley and cook an additional 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cooked meatballs in a shallow bowl and pour the wine mixture over them. Toss gently to coat well. Serve immediately.