Recipe by Winnipeg *Mel*
A fresh and delicious fruit salad with a tangy lemon sauce. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
Top Review by The Thorn of Hudson, FL
This tasted nasty to me. I'm not sure why. My only suggestion to anyone who is going to try it is this: Toss just a little of the fruit with the glaze until you try it. Better to throw out a little fruit than all of it - it's just to expensive to waste. My friend Herkimer has some but hasn't tried it yet - I'll update my thoughts if need be. As it stands right now - I won't be fixing it again.
- 6 cups cut-up fruit (use a variety of fruit -- whatever is in season)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine fruit in a bowl.
- Use a mixture of fruit-- about 1/2 cup of each.
- For example: cut-up peaches, apricots, apples, melon, orange segments, blueberries, halved seedless grapes, quartered strawberries, etc.
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla.
- Allow sauce to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fruit.
- Mix well.
- Chill in fridge until serving time.