Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A fresh and delicious fruit salad with a tangy lemon sauce. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
- Combine fruit in a bowl.
- Use a mixture of fruit-- about 1/2 cup of each.
- For example: cut-up peaches, apricots, apples, melon, orange segments, blueberries, halved seedless grapes, quartered strawberries, etc.
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla.
- Allow sauce to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fruit.
- Mix well.
- Chill in fridge until serving time.
This tasted nasty to me. I'm not sure why. My only suggestion to anyone who is going to try it is this: Toss just a little of the fruit with the glaze until you try it. Better to throw out a little fruit than all of it - it's just to expensive to waste. My friend Herkimer has some but hasn't tried it yet - I'll update my thoughts if need be. As it stands right now - I won't be fixing it again.
This was a nice change for a fresh fruit salad and I think it turned out quite well. I used mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, kiwi and banana. I made a 1/2 recipe and only used enough fruit for 4 servings.
I actually found the sauce fairly thick - perhaps UK cornflour has a different consistency. To save time (and money!) I use a mixture of fresh and tinned fruit (tinned fruit MUST be in juice, not syrup!). I find it keep s well in the fridge for a couple of days - by which time its all gone!!